Monday, October 15, 2012

Ouch!

Today was just like every other day in a lot of ways. We had a fun adventure to the apple orchard this morning and then came home and spent time playing in the back yard. When Kai toppled over trying to get off his big wheel I didn't think much about it until I heard "the cry". The one that says, that was more serious than a little knee scrape.

I ran over to find he had done a face plant into the side walk and had split his lip open. No fun. We went inside to take a look, clean it up and call the advice nurse. Kai was not happy but he recovered quickly and went about playing with his trucks and crayons inside.

The nurse told me the swelling should go down and the cut should close up on it's own and if it didn't to call back. Fast forward a few hours. Cut still open and lip still swollen.

I called the nurse back and she told me because it went from the area above his lip across the threshold of his actual lip I should probably take him in. They may want to do stitches to avoid a major scar on his face. Ugh. Stitches - no bueno.

Well, ended up little man got four stitches on his lip and it was brutal. He did such a great job and was so brave. We took his "big blue cozy" (which is his blue soft blanket) and his "little baby", but it was still a pretty rough go for both of us. It was so hard to watch him go through that, even if I did know it was the right thing to do.

After the ER we met up with daddy who had made a special trip to the store when he heard stitches were in kai's future and got Kai a new cozy (pink - which he has been requesting since seeing all of Lena's pink and purple cozys - SO cute!) and a "blue elmo" who is actually cookie monster, but Kai thinks all the charaters that look remotely like Elmo are just Elmo in another color :) Mr. Adorable strikes again.

He is resting peacefully now and hopefully the stitches make it through the next few days unscathed and able to do their job.

Here are a couple pictures from our afternoon "adventure"
I know I've said it before, but SERIOUSLY, this parenting business is not for the faint of heart.

A photo sent to daddy to show him Kai's cut - before we knew stitches were in his future

After the stitches with his new "blue elmo" and his new pink cozy
notice little baby and big blue cozy are still close at hand

Just before bed in good spirits with some chocolate milk on his chin and forehead :)

Up close shot of the lip puffed up in all it's glory