Aside from the patch there have been a couple other recent developments that are worth sharing here. The first is that Kai and I started a new preschool yesterday. I say Kai and I, because we are doing a co-op preschool. Kai will go three days a week and I work in the classroom one of those days. Our first day was awesome.
Kai and I have been having a few challenges lately. He has been pushing his boundaries with me especially and it has been trying. There are days when I have tried everything I know and he still won't let up. Thank god he's so cute and awesome and that we have so a many fun times in between it all, because it has been a doozy some days. So, part of the reason I chose this preschool is because they require that you take parenting classes. I see this as a huge opportunity for me to gain more tools for my parenting tool belt and to make connections with other parents who are interested in doing the same thing. Mark and I both went to the first class last week and loved it then yesterday Kai and I had our first day in the classroom and it was so great. I can tell already that it is going to be a wonderful experience for us. The class is teacher lead and the teacher is so great with the kids and her ability to model effective communication with the kids. I feel so grateful to have the opportunity to be a part of this program and am looking forward to what I will learn and how it will improve my relationship with Kai to make it even better.
The second thing I wanted to share was about a recent trip to the doctor. Kai's thumb was swollen and we thought it may have been injured somehow so we wanted to have it checked out. It ended up being a minor skin infection, very common and nothing to worry about. He has taken antibiotics and his thumb is fine.
During our visit with Dr. H (our pediatrician who we absolutely love), he was asking Kai a bunch of questions like what's his favorite color, what's his favorite animal, what's his favorite letter, Kai told Dr. H that he can count to 100 and ended up counting all the way to 30 while we were there. He talked to Dr. H about all kinds of stuff and after their little chat, Dr. H told me that Kai's ability with language, numbers and the way he is able to connect ideas is very rare for his age. He said he often doesn't see it even with kids going in to kindergarten (which is two years older then Kai) and that to put it in perspective he has 1,600 patients and he sees a kid like Kai maybe once a year.
Whoa, that was kind of crazy to hear. I mean we know Kai is smart but hearing the doctor say this really hit home. I realized he may be acting out with me because he's feeling a little bored. Dr. H brought it up because he said it's definitely something we want to be aware of as he goes into school so that we supplement his education if necessary.
So that's the latest around here. New school, patch and smartie pants. It's been a crazy couple weeks. We are so proud of Kai and even with the crazy days he is a truly amazing little boy. He is funny and silly and very sweet, a truly awesome kid.
No comments:
Post a Comment